Thursday, August 6, 2009

Celebration of Sarawak

Reflecting on my first commissioned public sculpture 15 years ago, a work primarily made of copper, mild steel and aluminum located alongside Sarawak Kuching waterfront. It was a public sculpture competition organised by SEDC (Sarawak Economic Development Corporation) under the helm of Datuk Effendi Nawawi. I was 34 and was competing against more than 100 participants (artists from all around Malaysia & various design companies, art institutions etc). My registration number was 076 and when I submitted my design proposal I was a bit overwhelmed considering the quality of artists and companies involved in this competition. At that time I thought my chance of winning was pretty slim. Two months after the date of the final submission I was shocked when a letter from SEDC arrived and announced my work as the winning entry.

No comments:

Post a Comment